Haidy Geismar’s post on ‘significant objects’ gave me an idea for a curatorial game that might increase the awareness of the importance of the material culture and aesthetics of biomedicine and biotechnology:
- ask a faculty member/graduate student/technician to choose a favourite biomedical object, i.e., an object which is of some significance for them personally, workwise or otherwise.
- the object may be old or new, small or big, ugly or beautiful, doesn’t matter
- but it shall be an object, not an idea, image or text
- ask for at description/story/anecdote connected with the object
- and a technical description of the object
- and a photo if possible — or pay a visit and snap one
- post the story on your blog (preferrably this blog 🙂
- approach the next faculty member/graduate student/technician
and so forth — then wait for awareness of the material culture and aesthetics of biomedicine to spread like a virus.