- Professor emeritus, Medical Museion, Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
- Adjunct Professor in History of Ideas and Learning, Department of Arts and Cultural Sciences, The Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology, Lund University.
Earlier academic positions
- Assistant Professor in Biology, Roskilde University, 1974-1975.
- Associate Professor in Biology, Roskilde University, 1975-1996.
- Associate Professor in Theory of Science, Roskilde University, 1996-1997.
- Research Professor in Science Studies, Danish Research Councils, 1997-2002.
- Professor in History of Medicine and Director of Medical Museion, University of Copenhagen, 1999-2016.
- Director of Science Communication, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2010-2013.
Postgraduate research supervision
- Supervisor of 10 PhD-candidates, 1997-2016
- Director of PhD programme in Medical Science and Technology Studies, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2010-2015.
Undergraduate and graduate teaching
- Lectures, courses, tutorials and thesis supervision in history and philosophy of science, B.Sc. Basic Science Programme, Roskilde University, 1973-1996
- Lectures, courses, tutorials and thesis supervison, M.A. Philosophy Programme, Roskilde University, 1976-1999.
- Lectures, courses and thesis supervision in history of medicine and public health, Medical and Public Health Programmes, University of Copenhagen, 2002-2012.
- Lectures in medical technology, Medical Engineering Programme, Danish Technical University 2006-2002.
Services for the profession
- Chair/member of professional evaluation committees: Professorship in history of science, UC Berkeley 1996; Professorship in science studies, Boston University, 1997; Associate professorship in philosophy, Roskilde University, 1998; Associate professorship in theory of science, University of Gothenburg, 1998; Associate professorship in theory of science, University of Gothenburg, 2000; Professorship in philosophy of medicine, University of Copenhagen, 2001; Professorship in history of medicine, University of Oslo 2005; Rausing Professorship in history of science, Uppsala University, 2006; Associate professorship in history of medicine, University of Oslo 2009; Professorship in history of medicine, Yale University, 2011.
- Chair/member of evaluation committees for 9 PhD dissertations in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland, 1991-2006.
Education and academic degrees
- B.Sc., University of Stockholm, 1968 (chemistry, zoology, mineralogy and historical geology/paleontology)
- M.Sc. in historical geology and paleontology, University of Stockholm, 1972. Title of Master’s thesis: “On the micro- and ultrastructure of the skeleton of Crisia eburnea (L). With a note on zoarium development”.
- Ph.D. in theory of science, University of Gothenburg, 1986. Title of dissertation: “The Ecologists: From Merry Naturalists to Saviours of the Nation. A Sociologically Informed Narrative Survey of the Ecologization of Sweden, 1895-1975. Stockholm: Almqvist and Wiksell International, 1986. 330 pp.
- Dr.phil. (habilitation), Roskilde University 1998. Title: “Hvilken kamp for at undslippe. En biografi om immunologen og nobelpristageren Niels Kaj Jerne”, København: Borgen, 1998, 756 pp.
- Senior Research Fellow, Danish Council for Research Planning (Planlægningsrådet for Forskningen), 1981-1984.
- Postdoc, Program in History of Science, Stanford University, 1991-1992.
- Research Fellow, Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine at UCL, 2001-2002.
- Research grant, ‘A Biography of Nobel Laurate Niels K. Jerne’ (Swedish Humanities Research Council, 1988-1991).
- Principal Investigator, Research Programme ‘Scientific Biography as a Science Studies Genre’ (Danish Research Councils, 1997-2002).
- Principal Investigator, Research and Curatorial Programme ‘Biomedicine on Display’ (Novo Nordisk Foundation, 2005-2008).
- Principal Investigator, Science Communication Programme, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (Novo Nordisk Foundation, 2011-2015).
Committees and Boards of Scientific Societies
- Chairman of Danish National Science Foundation’s Committee for Science Studies (Danmarks Grundforskningsfonds styregruppe for videnskabsforskning), 1994-1995.
- Director of Danish Humanities Research Council’s Network for History and Philosophy of Science (SHF:s netværk for videnskabshistorie og videnskabsfilosofi), 1994-1999.
- Appointed Member of the Danish National Committee for History and Philosophy of Science (Nationalkomiteen for videnskabshistorie og videnskabsfilosofi), 1994-2009.
- Member of the Faculty Research Committee, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University Copenhagen, 2003-2006
- Elected member of the Council, History of Science Society, 2008-2010; member of the Nominating Committee to Council, 2008-2009.
- Member of Board, European Association of Museums for the History of Medical Science, 2009-2015-
- Referee for the Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation (Riksbankens Jubileumsfond), Bergen Research Foundation, Norwegian Research Council, Wellcome Trust History of Medicine Committee, etc.
- Referee for Science in Context, Bulletin for the History of Medicine, Lychnos, University of Chicago Press, etc.